New Red Sox Chris Young to Play Against All Lefties Says Farrell

(Boston, MA, 05/02/15) #24 Chris Young points up as he goes to home plate on his homer in the 9th inning of the Red Sox vs. Yankees game at Fenway Park. Saturday, May 2, 2015. Staff photo by John Wilcox.

It sounds like new Red Sox outfielder Chris Young is going to be getting a lot of playing time, as manager John Farrell said he will be playing against every lefty that the Sox face.

Here’s the story from MassLive:

Red Sox manager John Farrell joined WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Tuesday and provided more insight on fourth outfielder Chris Young’s role for the 2016 season.

Young appeared in 140 games for the New York Yankees last year. The Red Sox certainly guaranteed him plenty of playing time when they signed him earlier this offseason.

“Chris Young signed here under the notion that he’s going to get every at-bat against left-handed pitching,” Farrell said. “There’s also some times where he’ll get some spot starts against some righthanders to begin with because I think it’s important to keep him in the flow of things from a timing standpoint.”

Against lefties Young is a career .263 batter with 53 homers and 156 runs batted in. He’s much better against lefties than right-handed pitchers, and when he’s not playing it will likely be Mookie Betts getting a lot of at-bats in 2016.

Statue Outside Fenway Park of Johnny Pesky Vandalized

index

A tribute to one of the most popular players in Red Sox history has been vandalized outside Fenway Park.

The team says a large No. 6 in honor of Johnny Pesky was scribbled with black graffiti.

The black paint was found at the top of the number Wednesday, but it’s not clear when the vandalism occurred. A team spokesman says the graffiti will be cleaned up.

Boston police are investigating. There have been no arrests.

Pesky was primarily a shortstop during his playing career. He had a six-decade association with the club as a player, manager, coach and broadcaster.

His number was retired in 2008. He died in 2012 at 92.

Red Sox Introduce the Sister of Wally – Meet Tessie!

600_wally-from-behind

The Red Sox have a new team member on board, but this one isn’t going to be making any type of impact at the plate or on the mound.

The Sox today unveiled ‘Tessie’ the sister of ‘Wally the Green Monster.’

Tessie will be making her Red Sox debut at the Sox Winter Weekend January 22nd to the 24th. Wally made his debut with the Red Sox in April of 1997.

New Red Sox President Dombrowski to Stay Patient with Scouting Department

(081915 Boston, Ma) New Boston Red Sox Director of Baseball Operation Dave Dombrowski addresses the media at his introductory press conference at Fenway Park. Staff photo by John Wilcox

It appears that the Red Sox, who have already undergone a flurry of changes with new president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, will not be making big wholesale changes when it comes to scouting.

MassLive.com reports that Dombrowski isn’t about to blow up a scouting department that is going to stay pretty much intact as the team gets ready to get back on the field in spring training in just over a month.

Upon Dombrowski’s hire, there was an emphasis on scouting and how the organization might change under a top evaluator like Dombrowski.

After all, Boston’s major league acquisitions in recent years haven’t quite performed as expected from Allen Craig to Rick Porcello to Joe Kelly to free-agent signees Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez.

There hasn’t been as much change as originally perceived.

Veteran special assignment scout Brad Sloan replaced the lone scouting departure, Dave Klipstein. Quattlebaum moved into his role; Eddie Romero shifted to vice president of international scouting; and a few other shifted their roles as scouting assistants within the organization.

The biggest change will be in how the staff communicates with Dombrowski.

As an evaluator who was groomed during a time when face-to-face communication was more frequent and phone calls were the only long-distance communication, Dombrowski relies heavily on speaking with his scouts rather than email or text. He prefers to be a part of the action rather than just overseeing it.

It’s a good move by Dombrowski to not blow things up, which is often the case when a new president is in play. Let’s hope his patience pays off as the Sox try and build up the farm system for 2016 and beyond.

Longtime Red Sox 3B Frank Malzone Passes Away at the Age of 85

66460

Longtime Red Sox third basemen Frank Malzone has passed away at the age of 85 of natural causes the team announced.

Malzone spent 68 years in the organization. He passed away at his home in Needham, Mass.

Malzone was part of the first class inducted into the Red Sox Hall of Fame in 1995. He played for Boston from 1955-65, and after finishing his career with the Angels in 1966, Malzone returned to the Red Sox as a scout and instructor. He later worked in the front office, and became a player development consultant in 2008.

“We mourn the loss of a man we all came to know as ‘Malzie,’ who was venerated by Red Sox fans not only for his great glove at third base but for his blue-collar dedication to his craft,” Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said in a statement.

“He played 150 games or more in seven consecutive seasons, and missed just a total of two games in his first four seasons. He brought that same commitment to the many years in which he served the club as a special assistant, and always was a welcome presence at Fenway Park. He will be missed, and we extend our condolences to his family.”

Malzone interrupted his pro career to serve in the U.S. Army during the Korean War from 1952-53, but he still made the Majors in ’55. He became Boston’s regular third baseman in ’57, finishing second in the American League Rookie of the Year Award voting, making the first of four straight All-Star teams and winning the first of three consecutive Gold Glove Awards (in the award’s first three seasons). He was named the team’s Most Valuable Player in 1957 and ’59 and owns team records for most home runs (131) and RBIs (716) by a third baseman.

Former Red Sox OF Dave Henderson Passes Away at Age 57

images

A Red Sox player known for one of their greatest memories in team history has passed, as the baseball world is mourning the loss of former All-Star outfielder Dave Henderson.

The outfielder passed away at the age 57.

“Hendu,” as he was known, played for five teams over his 14-year career, including six years each with the Mariners and Athletics.

He was the first draft pick in Mariners franchise history and spent a decade as an M’s color commentator on TV and radio after his retirement.

The slugger was a member of the Oakland teams that won three straight AL pennants from 1988-90 and captured the 1989 World Series.

The Red Sox memory that everyone recalls came in Game Five of the 1986 ALCS as a member of the Red Sox, when he hit a dramatic two-run homer with two strikes and two outs on him.

That victory saved the Red Sox from elimination and sparked an unlikely comeback, as they then beat the Angels in Games Six and Seven to win the pennant.

“Hendu played just two seasons in Boston, but we always regarded him as one of us, and are grateful for the time we were able to enjoy his talent and infectious personality,” Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said in an official statement from the club. “Everywhere he went, Henderson made friends. He was a great ambassador for our game, and we have lost him far too soon.”

Red Sox to Retire Number 26 in Honor of Wade Boggs

index

The Red Sox will be retiring the number of Hall of Famer Wade Boggs this upcoming season.

The former batting champion wore number 26 for the club. The 2005 Hall of Famer spent the majority of his career with the Red Sox.

He debuted as a rookie with the Sox back in 1982 and played there through 1992, hitting .338/.428/.462 and winning five batting titles (in a span of six years) in his 11 seasons with the club.

He’ll join the likes of Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Carlton Fisk, Jim Rice, Johnny Pesky, Pedro Martinez, Bobby Doerr and Joe Cronin as part of Red Sox lore.

Celebrity Cruises To Host 2016 Red Sox Fan Cruise

Celebrity Cruises - Red Sox Fan Cruise

Just in time for Spring Training, Celebrity Cruises and the Boston Red Sox partner to announce the Take Me Out to the High Seas 2016 Red Sox Fan Cruise to set sail January 9th, 2016. Cruise the Caribbean for 7 nights with legendary Red Sox players and WEEI announcer, Dave O’Brien, on the newest ship in the Celebrity Cruises fleet, the Celebrity Reflection. Show your Boston Red Sox pride at exclusive events onboard with Hall of Famer Jim Rice, Red Sox Hall of Famer “El Tiante” Luis Tiant, 4 World Series champion Mike Timlin, 2004 Red Sox World Series closer Keith Foulke, and current TV analyst Steve Lyons.

Celebrity Reflection has entertainment for all ages and is majestically decorated with three new suite classes, breathtaking verandas and private Alcoves. Guests on the Celebrity Reflection are treated to only the best-of-the-best amenities at sea including award-winning dining options, rejuvenating spa treatments at Canyon Ranch SpaClub, and interactive events at the Lawn Club Art Studio. For the Red Sox Fan Cruise, Celebrity Reflection will also host a number of exclusive fan activities with players including karaoke night, Q&As with the former players, autograph session, meet and greets, and more.

The 2016 Red Sox Fan Cruise is part of a long-standing partnership between Celebrity Cruises and the Boston Red Sox that also includes a number of in-stadium experiences planned for the up-coming baseball season at Fenway Park. “We are honored to set sail with the Boston Red Sox again,” said Marla Phaneuf, Team Manager of New England at Celebrity Cruises. “We are excited to deliver Red Sox fans the ultimate experience aboard one of our most luxurious ships. The 2014 Red Sox Fan Cruise was a huge hit and Celebrity Cruises couldn’t be more excited to host the greatest fans around in 2016.”

The round-trip Red Sox Fan Cruise departs from Miami and stops for fun in the sun in San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Staterooms are now available starting at $1,110 per person based on double occupancy, including access to exclusive onboard activities, classic alcohol beverage package, $50 to spend onboard, prepaid gratuities, taxes, and special gifts from Celebrity Cruises. Space is limited to 300 fans.

Fans must be booked within Group ID 8039843 in order to participate in Red Sox activities. To reserve your spot on the 2016 Red Sox Fan Cruise, call Celebrity Cruises Red Sox Group department at 1-888-727-4907 or contact your travel agent. Visit www.celebritycruises.com/bos for more information.